Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Apr 2001 01:52:44 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
 Unhappy neighbors- not a good situation- you will likely have to move your bees unless you initiate a prompt damage control and public relations camaign.    Keeping ones backyard bees a secret, so that nobody is even aware off them, let alone raising a fuss, is the best option.  (The neighbors must be kept happy- all it takes is one kid with a can of wasp and hornet killer to wipe out your hive and ruin the equipment for re-use.)

Your 6 foot fence was a great idea- how did this guy find out about them? From your neighbor?  Talk to you neighbor with the dog- show genuine concern, and try to solve the problem by tracking down what <is> bothering it.  Proving that the dog is being attacked by yellowjackets, or hornets, not your bees, is rather hard, but can be done if that is indeed the case.  A bee- suit and veil is great protection against yellowjackets and wasps, and if you find and destroy the nest, you will be changed from the villian into the neighborhood hero.  Having a beekeeper around the neighborhood does have its uses- try to make that obvious to your neighbors.

Are the bees perhaps being attracted to the dogs water dish?  If so, and the neighbor is very nervous, move the bees immediately.  (As soon as you can!)  Getting bees to stop using a source of water is almost impossible once they get used to it, and the dog cannot be deprived of his water.  Set up a good water source in your own back yard. (A pond or trickling fountain with water plants in it is ideal- the bees like to perch on a leaf while drinking.  My bees favorites are water Lettuce and Papyrus.)  Once that is set up, and the bees that remember the dogs water dish are dead, (a few weeks away, at least)  you may be able to move the hive back in without further problems- just be sure that the bees have a more tempting and reliable water source than the dogs dish.

I keep bees in urban settings. (My own and friends and relatives back yards.)- but I also have a rural bee yard, and if anyone complains, the backyard hives can be relocated within a day or two.)  So far, the only complaint I recieved was at a time that I had no bees in my back yard- just empty equipment.  I walked my neighbor back and showed them that the equipment was empty, and offered to help them spray the wasp or hornet nest, if they should find it.  That said, I never heard anything more about it.  (I think yellow jackets were being attracted to their yard during picnics.)

Moving them for a year or so, and then quietly moving them back in after the fuss has died down is an option also (But only if things don't get blown into a furor.)   Do you know someone a couple miles away who would be willing to have them for a season or two- My friends with gardens are eager to get a back yard hive to pollinate their fruits and vegetables.)   Keep a stack of empty supers in the yard to show that the equipment is empty- just being stored.  When the hives reappear, no one is likely to notice.

The most important thing, now that your secret is out, is to make sure you are seen as cooperative and approachable.  Solve problems, don't be seen as the cause of them.

If things look like they are going to escalate, be sure and do the following:

Get to your local library and check the village laws- most libraries have a book with the local zoning and regulations in it- ask your reference librarian. Be familiar with the actual Laws.

Contact your local beekeeping organization- get them behind you.  Be prepared to talk and make presentations at council meetings and the like- education is your best route here.  They have likely fought battles like this before, and people from the association will be your best allies.  If you do have to move your bees, they may be able to help you to find another spot, not too far away, to keep them. (Temporarily or permanently)

You don't say where you are, but if you are in the American southwest, fear of africanized bees is a major problem- having records of where you purchase purbred queens and how often you reequeen is one of the best defences.  It's far better to have gentle bees in the neigborhood than feral africanized bees.

Even if things don't escalate, do get hold of your local  beekeeping association- they really can help you out, as they will be most familiar with local conditions and rules.  Most groups consider public education and relations as an important part of their purpose- They want to keep beekeeping legal as much as you do.  Use the resources available in your area!

Good luck- please keep us posted on your situation- I'd love to hear how it comes out!

Ellen  in Michigan

ATOM RSS1 RSS2