From:
"John K. Warsaw" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 11:23:25 -0400
I use a spray of made from a couple of tablespoons of dish soap to the
gallon of water, applied with a pump sprayer.  Exact measurement isn't
critical.  There are organic soaps sold for the purpose, but I just use
whatever I have around.  I haven't seen any difference between soap and
detergent.

Spray the aphids or other small pests liberally.  This stuff works by
gumming them to death. They aren't strong enough to get free of the
solution. (The actual mechanism is asphyxiation.)   Bees, being larger and
stronger, don't seem bothered by it.  If you want to be super careful you
could spray late in the day. The liquid will dry before the bees show up for
work the next day.  You could also wash the stuff off before the bees get to
it. When I treat azaleas for lacebugs I sometimes mix a stronger solution,
leave it on for several hours, and then hose it off so the plants wont burn.