From:
Lionel Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 2010 13:57:08 -0500
Bob Harrison stated:

(I honestly believe the U.S. bees today with all their pest and disease
 issues are not half the bees we ran before mites and other issues. Every
beekeeper which kept bees for the decade before mites (Pre mid 1980's) I
have spoke with agrees with me.)

My Dad kept bees as far back as I can remember, must have been mid to late
'40's. I did not work in them until I purchased 2 hives for myself in about
1973. I remember beards of bees hanging from each hive every summer for
many, many years,  maybe until about 1990 or so. The 2 hives I purchased
were as mean as could be. I had to requeen the first year. They would meet
you before you got to the hive.

All we ever were concerned about was AFB. I think bees were better breed,
had better quality queens, had better honey yields per hive, never lost
queens just for no reason as we do now. Our queens were usually kept for 4
years or maybe more. Often the bees would get a little testy and I would
requeen.

I have an opinion, which everyone has, that one reason bees fail to thrive
as well now as then, is the variety of pollen producing plants are not out
there today as were then. Roundup ready crops removes some of the wild weeds
that were sources of pollen years ago. A good mixture of pollen will raise
healthy and vigorous bees to raise more bees to produce more honey.

I feel those days are gone forever. Happy beekeeping......

Lionel