From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 2009 09:07:14 -0400
Peter D writes:

> Certainly the authors of this paper point to an important difference between the immune capacity of cerana and mellifera that they imply could be related to a lesser degree of selection away from the wild state in cerana. This presumably confers a greater ability of that species to cope with bacterial infections.

Honestly, I thought the paper went way out on a limb and hung there.
Read the following unedited "discussion" and see if you can make any
sense of it. I especially liked the use of the phrase "It is easy to
infer".

I thought the authors were trying to make a case for preserving Apis
cerana, which is already inherently worthwhile. However, so far as I
know, they are not endangered in any sense, except perhaps in China,
where the paper was written.

--
Peter Loring Borst
Ithaca, NY  USA