From:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 12:06:12 +0100
Hi all
Allen muses...

> so I am wondering if HB awareness is strictly a
> North American phenomenon.

Here in UK we take the "Hygenic" issue very seriously and we have had work
going on for a good many years.

We also have work going on into "mite damaging behaviour" .

At the end of last season the best of these two groups were crossed (in each
direction) using instrumental insemination, the results from these queens
are eagerly awaited.

Which University is this happening at?

Not a university but by BIBBA, a bunch of enthusiastic amateurs!

This is not to belittle the excellent work that our universities do
(Sheffield is outstanding) but shows that despite inadequate funds,
sensible, useable work is still being done very professionally in the UK.

I am a member of BIBBA and a similar group, GBBG in Ireland, but I speak
here as an individual and not a spokesman. I am "blowing their trumpet" as I
think that they are not lagging behind but are right at the cutting edge.

Here are a couple of links that will give you more information.

http://www.angus.co.uk/bibba
http://homepage.tinet.ie/~eduard/

There is also an excellent colour magazine "Bee Improvement" which is
published by BIBBA four times per year, no doubt this could be posted to USA
with a minor extra charge for postage.

Regards From:- Dave Cushman, G8MZY
Beekeeping and Bee Breeding, http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman