Debbee Corcoran <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2017 17:45:56 -0500
Content-Type:
multipart/alternative
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1726 bytes) , image2.jpeg (152 kB)
> On Dec 4, 2017, at 2:07 PM, Larry Mutti <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> 
> “It seems to me it would be helpful if we had a better handle on the actual interior configuration of natural cavities that bees use, and what portion of them the bees utilize. I don’t know whether thermal imaging or some other strategy would allow us to see inside tree cavities non-invasively.  Of course, we would also want an army of investigators to go out and gather this data. I don’t happen to know of many occupied natural cavities I could investigate.”

Back in August a huge old maple tree was cut down, no one realizing it was an old bee tree. In the image below this was one part of the trunk of this tree, maybe 12+ feet of the colony, you can see some grass in the upper left where they were cutting pieces off. There was comb in every nook and cranny of this tree; old comb and new comb, some haphazardly placed. Lots of capped honey and brood not all in one specific spot which made me think there might have been more than one colony. I don’t work with gloves just a veil, and I don’t think I could have worn any with this tree anyway. I didn’t get stung at all (to the amazement of the workers and me!).  Never saw the queen here but there must have been one because the end result was very calm. 

Deb Corcoran, Bee Thankful Raw Honey
Western Catskill Mountains NY

> 
>             ***********************************************
> 

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2