From:
"E.t. Ash" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 May 2016 03:30:40 -0400
an Aaron Morris snip...

 They continue to use the word honeybee and I continue to use the
> word honey bee.  I have sent them the reason why I say honey bee and why it
> is correct, but they prefer to use the dictionary version, as they believe
> it to be more commonly recognizable, I guess.

my comment...
I don't know if you would personally know Dr John Thomas who along with his wife's name is on the Texas A&M Bee Lab???  I knew him long before my own connection to the bee lab when Dr Thomas was state entomologist here at Texas A&M and before his professional career a beekeeper.  A couple of years ago I had this exact conversation with him and he informed me that some decades ago he was on a panel to decide exactly the same question for professional journals.  According to Dr Thomas honeybee is the commonly accepted construction of the word if you live in England or Europe but in the US the appropriate construction is honey bee.

Hope that helps