From:
Leigh Wiley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 1997 12:14:42 EDT
Maybe someone can help me with a couple of situations I have.
1) I have two hives from a split I made about 4 weeks ago. Both are in
single brood chambers and both have 6-7 frames of brood. Each hive has a
super on top with a queen excluder between. Each super has 2-3 frames of
honey. Here in Maine, the spring was very slow and we're still in the
last of the raspberry bloom and 1st crop clover is going crazy. Should I
put a second brood chamber on these two? Will it stop them from making
surplus honey? The two hives do not have a lot of bees in them yet but
should soon as the oldest frames have been capped awhile.
2) I have two supers of capped, crystalized honey from last fall that
the bees did not use and I need the supers. Can I safely let the hives
rob the supers out by leaving them out or is there a better way to let
them clean them up? I don't want them to start robbing the other hives.
            Thanks for any ideas you might have!

Leigh Wiley
Sangerville Maine