From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2009 08:01:08 -0500
From: Griggs Mike [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2009 7:57 AM
Subject: Re: Bayer witch-hunt?

 It is interesting to note this schism here is mostly a
misunderstanding as most entomologists start their career spending
years studying insects, learning their habits, taking their pictures,
following them around on hands & knees however,  most end up getting
hired to research methods to kill them.  What irony.   Regardless,
many still maintain a level of respect & awe for insects, even if they
are not beekeepers.  What is Bob Dillans song  " everyone needs  to
serve somebody".  Tis true & after a bit of service--they gain
allegiance.

I'm a beekeeper but also am an entomologist.  I can see both sides of
the coin & know people on both sides.  Chemical company employees vs
bug huggers. Do you know how many innocent insects are needlessly
slaughtered on our nations hiways?  Listen, If you are a commercial
orchardist who is trying to protect their trees from an invasive
insect that vectors a disease. which if detected will cause regulators
to de-send upon your property & thrash & burn all potentially
infected  trees destroying any hint of profit,   You too may use tools
available to protect this business.  Sounds a lot like commercial
beekeeper to me.  Chemicals are the only cost effective method of
dealing with pests.  Like Fluvalinate or fumagillin!

So getting back to the entomologist.  Many of the people working for
pesticide companies are good folks, trained in the same arena as our
industry scientists and only trying to come up with tools to help
businesses with pest problems.  The problem is the negative effect on
all insects including bees.  Work great on pests but also tend to
affect non target s.   Been that way since early 1900's.  Beekeepers
have had problems with insecticides but also have become as reliant as
growers on them.

  Fortunately or unfortunately insecticide chemistry is becoming very
much more complex.  While becoming safer to the environment and more
specific to the target the mode of action is becoming more subtle in
effect.  This also has tracked our ability to monitor lesser & lessor
affects such that we are now concerned with subtle effects caused by
orders of magnitude less product.  On one hand it is a good thing we
are able to discern the effects of parts per billion on the other its
a curse --we suddenly become paranoid of concentrations our fathers
would laugh at.  My grandfather told me of using his arm to mix tanks
of insecticide with his arm by rolling up his sleeve.  Probably was
Carbamates or organophosphates on the farm.

So to end--Ya get more flies to Honey than Vinegar--I believe we need
to work with & Bayer--some trust may go a long way-- If these
scientists find problems with this chemistry they will do the right
thing and report to their superiors.  We need them as allies not foes!

Just my opinion.  I've certainly used lots of chems--But in my apiary
I'm choosing to not use them!!!

Mike Griggs