From:
lloydspear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Dec 2001 16:44:53 -0500
Bob Stevens and Per Osvald Gustafsson both have pointed out the advantages
of the Styrofoam "Miller-Type" feeders. I was remiss in not doing so.
This is an instance where the plastic product is far superior to the wood.
(If only I did not have 75 or so made from wood!) By all means buy all you
can afford; one will be sufficient for most all hobbyists.
However, please do paint them. They will deteriorate from exposure to
sunlight, and are too expensive to have break down. If you paint the inside
as well you will find they are a snap to clean, without using bleach. Use
any high grade oil or water based outdoor paint. Even though it is not food
grade it will not hurt your bees (I have done this). Presumably because our
wonderful government agencies are worried about the possibility of kids
eating houses! (Or, maybe, they are worried about woodpeckers?)
It sounds as if Bob is planning on making these in the US. If so, the cost
might come way down...then maybe I will get a chance to replace my wooden
ones. Call Betterbee (no relation to me) 800-632-3379.

Lloyd
email to [log in to unmask]
Lloyd Spear, Owner of Ross Rounds, Inc.
Manufacturer of round comb honey equipment and Sundance pollen traps