From:
Doug Henry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 21:15:21 -0600
Thanks to those who offered me advice on preparing honey for my entry
last week in the Manitoba Honey Show. I scored 94 out of a 100 and
finished fourth in the Open Basic Category. I lost the 6 points for excess
moisture, getting 14 points from possible 20. I received maximum points
for other categories including maximum allowable for taste and aroma
which made it all worth while.

During discussions with other beekeepers at the show I was told that
continued use of the same brood chambers over a prolonged period of use
would lead to smaller bees. The theory being that brood cells become
smaller due to scale or other residue left behind thereby curtailing size of
larvae. Is there any validity to this staement. If so, how often should
one change brood chambers. As a follow-on question are frames used for
honey production suitable for use for brood rearing or should one use
virgin frames only.

Thanks, Doug Henry, Lockport Manitoba