From:
Gavin Ramsay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Sep 2011 09:16:30 +0100
Hi Juanse

Absolutely agree with this which came from the article:

> When absurdity reaches a peak, as it has with this recent
> decision, the only place it can go from there is back down
> to earth

but I wouldn't claim that the Die Welt/Worldcrunch piece was this:

> The GMO companies do their analisis

There is some sanity left in Germany.  Ulli Kulke is a serious writer for the
Die Welt newspaper, not a spokesman for GMO companies, and his views are in line
with those of almost all scientists and a good slice of the public too.

The anti-GM people are crowing about what they think is a victory, but the
effect of the decision may be to make the sale of any honey difficult.  There
is, on occasion, massive transcontinental movement of airborne pollen.  I
monitor airborne pollen as part of my day job and have seen this.  How can
anybody ensure that a distant country growing large areas of GMs is not sending
out pollen which might end up in honey and other food is beyond me.  Germany
can't control what Spain or even Canada does, and so if German activists want to
push for exclusion it must come with sensible thresholds.

Beekeepers and beekeeping are being used by people with ridiculous agendas, and
not for the first time.

best wishes

Gavin