From:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2001 11:54:23 +0100
Hi Dave

Perhaps I am wrong, I thought that the faceted eyes had about the same
response range as humans but shifted towards the UV.

But that the three ocelli (sp) had a response into the far IR that allowed
them to track isotherms.

I have been unable to track down any positive references... All I can find
is some work by LLoyd M. Bertholf.. "Reactions of the honeybee to light"
1930.
In this booklet he describes the method of eliminating IR from his tests by
using a glass cell with a solution of copper sulphate in water.

The range stated by the above work was 313 nm to 650nm.

However the maximum wavelength used in the tests was 705 nm which is just
about the human accepted limit (700 nm).

Regards From:- Dave Cushman, G8MZY
Beekeeping and Bee Breeding, http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman