From:
Adam Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Nov 2015 10:22:20 -0500

> Mike,  do I understand they (farmers) can use a coated seed,  but need to
> show 30% loss before they can use a foliar???

No.  For 2016 they can use treated seed on 50% of their growing area
without doing anything at all.  If they want to use it on the other 50%,
they have to complete a pest assessment report to justify the use of
treated seat.  There are two methods of justification. 1) Soil pest
scouting 2) Crop damage Assessment.  To qualify under crop damage they have
to have a 15% loss in corn or 30% loss in soybean caused by pest.

For 2017, they will have to complete a pest assessment report for any use
of treated seed.

There is free IPM training being offered to growers, for the 2017 growing
season they will have to have completed this training to fill out the
report.

Before the regulations, the coated seed wasn't looked at as a "pesticide"
from a legal perspective.  The new regulations now classify the treated
seed as a "pesticide" and set out the conditions for its use.