Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 16:09:11 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (10 lines)
 I always prefer apiaries that are in the full sun. My ideal yard is in a pasture with a windbreak on the north or northwest side. I have kept bees in Coastal San Diego as well as in Upstate New York. In both these locations temperatures seldom reach 100F and very rarely exceed this number.

The bees in shady apiaries always seem edgy and prone to stinging. Furthermore, it is very hard to see eggs or find queens in the dense shade.  Full sun apiaries seem to be easier to manage, although -- unless the hives are few and far between, there may be more drifting because of the lack of landmarks.

In areas where the temps regularly exceed 100F and reach 120F, shades are an absolute must. In the Imperial Valley they use "ramadas" which are usually frame structures with roofs made from palm branches. In the Sacramento Valley it is typical to move the bees into the mountains in summer to avoid the heat. At the higher temperatures the combs will melt down and the wax and honey will pour out the front.

When the temperatures are in the 80F to 100F range, and there is nectar coming in, bees seem very content. In fact, I often stop using the veil when these conditions are present. So, I would say, unless you are in a hot desert, full sun is better.

pb

ATOM RSS1 RSS2