From:
Dick Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Feb 2006 08:34:54 -0900
Aaron mentioned earlier about assuming nothing. More to the point,
don’t believe everything you see and, especially, hear.

A fellow beekeeper (I’ll call her “Betty”) works locally as a radio
news reporter.  Due to her schedule Betty didn’t feel she had the time
to look after bees. I have the time so we split the cost of the bees,
and divide the honey at season’s end. She provides the equipment and I
look after them at her house. One afternoon I was tending her bees when
Betty was getting home from work.  Betty thought ‘a local beekeeper’
would provide a nice human interest section for her news program. So,
as I was inspecting her hives, she took out her recorder and started
interviewing me.

Since the bees were well behaved, and it was a nice day, I didn’t have
a veil on and was dressed in a tee shirt and jeans. Betty asked some
general beekeeping questions along some good questions about Alaska
beekeeping practices. A few days later the interview aired over the
radio.  In her news reporter voice leading up to the interview Betty
began describing how I was dressed. She portrayed me as wearing a
“bee-proof” veil, a white beekeeping suit tucked into rubber boots, and
“sting-proof” gloves, none of which I was wearing at the time, but I
guess that’s how the public expects a beekeeper to be dressed.

Regards,
Dick Allen