From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 20:30:58 -0500

>  When byuing an uncapper, what should i look for? What should i avoid?
> Which features are most important?

How many colonies are you running should be considered. I have used several
types of uncapper, from hand held hot knife, to vibrating knifes, to
Gunness chain uncapper. I think the chain types are best for medium sized
and larger operations. They are fast and clean. They take any size frames,
even all mixed up. They have few moving parts, and virtually no adjustment.
Stay away from finicky rattletrap uncappers with moving hot knifes and
automatic feeds, and unloaders. They eat combs and frames for dessert. They
often require being set for one size at a time.
         A good chain uncapper can probably keep 4-72 frame extractors in
operation.

Mike