From:
Malcolm Roe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 1994 13:31:09 +0100
A few days ago Liz Day reminded us about blue pollen.  Whilst watching
my bees bringing in pollen yesterday (SE England) I saw, among all the
orange and yellows, a single load of bright red.  It was very striking
- about the colour of a ripe tomato.

I referred to Dorothy Hodges' book.  The only possibility from her list
was Red Deadnettle (Lamium purpureum) although her colours were rather
duller than the colour as I remember it.  Certainly, Red Deadnettle is
out in abundance at the moment and is frequently visited by honeybees.
However, I've always thought that their main interest was nectar.  I
suppose it is possible the pollen came from some exotic garden plant
but there can't be many of them in flower at present.  The weather is
still quite cold.  We were having sleet and hail only a few days ago.

--
Malcolm Roe                            Phone  :  +44 442 230000 ext 5104
Crosfield Electronics Ltd              Fax    :  +44 442 232301