From:
Peter John Keating <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter John Keating <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 21:57:04 -0400

> I have back problems, and use shallow honey supers accommodate that.  I
can
> lift a shallow super full of honey without too much trouble, but a deep
> super gives me trouble.

When Frank mentioned shallow supers, I immediately thought of the 2/3 box
and not the 1/2 box as did Maurice. If you have back problems now, they will
only get worse in beekeeping. The 2/3 or medium is okay for using as broods
as well as honey supers. The disadvantages for commercial beekeepers are
that the 2/3 costs almost the same price as a deep and that extraction takes
a lot longer. I have a lot of 2/3 and they sure are easy to throw up on to
the truck and no one complains about the weight. I also have some 1/2 supers
for varietal honey, but they are a real pain for extracting, there's hardly
any honey in them!
Peter (Quebec)