From:
Bill Van Roekel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jun 1999 07:37:26 -0500
Question is, would it be safe to
>use some type of repellent on my clothes?  Any suggestions for a good one to
>use?  Would it be a problem for the bees?
I have only heard HORROR stories when it comes to using insect repellents
around honey bees.  One was published in one of the journals several years
back.  The other was a beekeeper who had hives near horses.  He and the
property owner had no problems until she sprayed the horses/barn to keep
flies off the horses.  The bees then drove the horse half crazy.  The
beekeeper went out, moved the bees, and helped destroy the ones still
hanging around the horse.  And I think this occurred in the late evening
just before dusk (the bees didn't go home when they should have).
If you decide to use an insect repellent, please let us know how it worked.
As far as ticks, they seem to be much thicker around here this year also.
(However we did just move to an acreage last fall, and have spent more time
outside this spring)  I have heard that having a few Guinea fowl running
around may cut down the tick population.
Good luck, and let us know with any ideas that you find effective.
Bill