From:
Keith Malone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 21:48:45 -0900
Hi Bob & All,

Here we go again.

> Bees can not survive the ravages of varroa without some beekeeper help be it
> varroa tolerant queens (best choice by far) , small cell , IPM methods etc.

False, there are in fact feral honey bees surviving without any beekeeper help.

> All the people on my list want the same thing

Only one is doing the job of keeping bees without treatments of foreign
substances.

> What about me?

My knowledge of your beekeeping successfully commercially has a history of only
being two years without treatments for any one hive that is surviving. Correct
me if I am wrong. Even my success is that good. If my oldest stock can make it
through this winter my stock will be three years old without treatments. I will
consider my beekeeping and your beekeeping successful without treatments of any
kind successful after a period of five years running. Only one on your list has
this success, keeping bees without treatments of any kind for the long haul and
to add can produce increase.

>  There is no need for patented Queens,
>
> Apparently you are alone in your thinking

False, hopefully others that are now on this list will back up my statement.
J.W., M.B. tell everyone about feral honey bees and how much they out perform
carefully bred strains. In my opinion, patented queens are the very last thing
the beekeeping industry needs. The only group that benefits from patented queens
is queen breeders and queen producers, the beekeeper only gets to pay extra for
queens that should be reared and mated by the individual beekeepers themselves.

> What about me Keith?

Maybe I am wrong about you Bob, but it was my understanding that you have
patented a stock of bees and stand to benefit monetarily.

> Slipping in a varroa tolerant queen is the easiest , cheapest and
> fastest solution to a varroa problem.

But can unravel quickly if not dealt with properly by breeders, unlike the
stability that can be gained by keeping bees on a more natural system.

> I have NEVER found an answer to
> todays tough beekeeping problems in the old books.

That's not to say that some have. My ever increasing library of beekeeping books
has no books in it newer than 30 years old. My best information comes from books
that are over 45 years old and the best evidence for going small cell comes from
books that are 90 years plus and older. The answer to today's tough beekeeping
problems really can not be found in any book but in the bees themselves. The
older books only enlighten me and show me excellent ways to keep bees, they
enlighten me to the fact that man has meddled with bees to much and now they
need our help to get back to where they once belonged.

> As always I hope we "can agree to disagree"

I will never take words personal. Arguing does not have to be taken negatively
unless we take it personally. Lawyers argue their case so that others can judge
for themselves the truth. The Facts are out there to be found, evidence is
everywhere to be discovered. If all beekeepers were to fall off of the face of
the Earth tomorrow honey bees would continue to live and to their job. As
beekeepers we need to let the bees do their job.

Disclaimer: MLO

 . ..   Keith Malone, Chugiak, Alaska USA, http://www.cer.org/,
c(((([ , Apiarian, http://takeoff.to/alaskahoney/,