From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Oct 1998 07:19:08 -0400
I would put most of the weight on results from the south, and even then be careful
this year. Varroa was greatly reduced here in Maine because those who did not
treat with anything lost their hives over the past two years. So we are in the
build up stage. With no or few feral bees to act as a varroa source, we have to
wait until some of us get careless and fail to treat or resistant strains become
more numerous.
Most of us who treat with Apistan last fall have seen few if any mites this
summer. So I could have treated with FGMO and have seen the same results as I did
with no treatment this year.
I think any results of FGMO treatment are still suspect unless the test is run
under controlled conditions- namely varroa is introduced to hives and treated.
As an aside. I do think FGMO works. I just do not think the results we get this
year, at least in Maine and other northern states would mean much. But the
discussion will be interesting and warm us up with the usual flames from both
sides.
Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME