From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 May 2002 07:53:27 -0500
Hello Garrett and All,

 >such as change when light no longer shows through.

The beekeeper which told you the above Garrett is badly misinformed. He must
have wax contamination  confused with a dirty auto air filter.

There  are tests for wax contamination.  Many buyers of wax  are   doing
*random* tests but none are doing tests for contamination on *All* wax to my
knowledge. Sadly most beekeepers trade melted down brood comb for foundation
and sell the cappings wax to other than foundation makers.

People using beeswax for cosmetics and lotions should insist on only
cappings wax.

Finding  fluvalinate and coumaphos levels in brood comb is being done by
several people  . The U.S.D.A. and   researchers are looking. Also Bayer and
Zoecon. There is what the USDA  consider a acceptable level (maybe not
acceptable to Dee).
The only times  they have found above acceptable levels    has been in cases
involving   misuse (Florida Apiary inspectors) of sheep dip instead of a
approved strip.
 Even a apple which has been sprayed one time  (many are given 14 plus
treatments) has a pesticide level which can be detected.   Many  humans
carry a  ppb pesticide level I have been told.
In my opinion the point at  which agriculture  went  wrong is the  using of
chemicals  as  a way of life instead  of using only when needed.
The beekeeper needs to monitor varroa , set up a program to eliminate the
use of chemicals (SMR, 4.9 cell size, Russian queens , drone brood removal,
mineral oil or whatever) and  then use  chemicals as the last line of
defense.

Many beekeepers are simply sticking in strips  twice a year  , not  testing,
and switching chemicals when they hear resistance is their area.

To get back to Garrett's question a simple test could be developed with
which the beekeeper could test his beeswax but without a order for around  a
million test kits in advance I do not believe you will see  the test kit.
Also you would most likely need a different test kit for fluvalinate. Maybe
a chemist on the list could come up with a way we could test with a few
drops of a chemical we could purchase at a drugstore or easily obtain?

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison

The  researchers at the Arkansas apple research station have reported they
can produce 95% pest free apples with two sprays early in a season but few
apple growers have got *on board*. Is the other 5% worth the risk to the
help and the public PLUS the expense. Contact Guy Ames at Ames Nursery in
Arkansas for IPM details.
Phrase all beekeepers doing pollination have heard from apple growers:
"Got to get those bees out so I can get the poison on" The word poison and
pesticide goes together like bread and butter.