From:
Kenna MacKenzie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Sep 1994 12:31:55 -0400
I think we should be somewhat careful in how we classify 'wild
bees'.  I think it is better is this is clarified by saying
'wild honey bees' or 'feral honey bees' or something similar.
As the mites do not affect other species of bees, there should
be no real effect on 'wild bees' in general.  Unless, of course,
there was some sort of competitive effect by feral honey bee
colonies that reduced native bee populations (I don't believe
that this has ever been shown to occur).

This may be seem silly, but as an pollination biologist who
works with both honey bees and native bees, I am sensitive to
the fact that most people tend not to recognize the importance
of native bees in crop pollination.

Kenna MacKenzie, Research Scientist
Agriculture Canada, Kentville, Nova Scotia