From:
Gavin Ramsay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Aug 2008 23:17:59 +0000
Thanks Peter and Joe

I like the 'local pooping' theory to explain restricted local foraging.  When my bees were in the garden, early spring cleansing was usually done from 5-20m from the hive (on washing and cars, both mine and my neighbours!).  Don't think that they went much further.  It does make sense to have separate pooping and feeding zones around the hive.  What about water gathering?  Mine were often within the pooping zone, maybe not such a good idea but they do seem to poop on bright or shiny things but drink from dark damp areas.

Joe - I like your explanation based on the accuracy of communication, but I'm not convinced.  Are dances really that accurate, and, if not, is the communication of food available very locally any less precise?  Bumble bees of course do not dance, merely charge about inside the nest stimulating excitement about the latest find.  They might have means of communicating that we don't properly understand, such as maybe leading foragers directly, but they certainly don't do a waggle dance.  Interesting though that your moved feeders were less immediately attractive to a nearby colony.

best wishes

Gavin