From:
John Caldeira <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 19:42:15 -0600
Ted Leischner wrote:
>Would a top and bottom entrance benefit a six-frame observation hive?
>Would such a system improve the wintering success of
>a six-frame observation hive in Calgary, Alberta, Canada?

Bees head towards the light when trying to exit from the hive.  If the hive
is near a window, the bees often go towards the top as they search for a way
out.  However, a top exit often makes it difficult for the bees to carry out
their dead, as an earlier reply mentioned.  This can be overcome with either
a second entrance at the bottom or a debris dungeon drawer.

A hive I maintain at a local science center has both an upper and bottom
entrance, and about 90% of the bees use the upper entrance.  There are often
some dead bees left on the floor, so I can't say the bottom entrance was an
overwhelming success.  The hive is near a window.

The dungeon/drawer concept has been effective in collecting dead bees and
debris in one of my portable, temporary observation hives, and I plan to try
it on a permanent hive.  The dark dungeon area below collects debris that
falls in, and can occasionally be cleaned out by the beekeeper.  The drawer
can also be used to feed bees, a concept that was apparent in an observation
hive designed by Thomas Nutt in the early 1800s.

Don't know whether a second entrance would have much impact on wintering,
but advise not to create a wind tunnel effect from air exchange between
inside and outside (assuming your hive is indoors), as it will stress the
bees and increase condensation on the glass.  I strongly recommend that
inside ventilation be avoided.

-John

John Caldeira                [log in to unmask]
Dallas, Texas, USA
http://home.earthlink.net/~jcaldeira/beekeeping/