From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 2010 20:14:33 -0400
> I sometimes wonder if the mites can to a degree settle into an annual cycle more in tune to the bees in a stationary situation.

Working as a bee inspector in NY state, I saw mostly stationary hives. I never saw anyone who could keep mites from killing their hives without using mite treatments. The annual cycle is good spring buildup, good honey flow, hive crashes afterwards due to varroa. A lot of the folks that don't treat have to restock at least half their hives every year. If that is successful beekeeping, so be it. 50% losses in the north have always occurred from time to time. That's why north to south migration by commercial beekeepers is common in this region.

PLB