From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Jul 2009 08:50:36 -0600
> If you split now, late July, would you use queens, cells or is there  time
> for walk away splits.  What honey plants are yet to bloom in  southern
> Alberta?

There should be enough bloom.  Canola goes on until sometime in September as
does alfalfa, and clover and various weeds, but the days get shorter and the
flows cut in and out.  Late pollen is probably not as good, since the trees
are all done by now and we are down to clover and canola and whatever else
they can find.  I see some faba around, but it does not have a great
reputation as bee forage.

I am a bit concerned about the time between the startup of a new queen and
the time the bees need to prepare their new brood chamber for winter.  There
was some talk here on BEE-L a decade or so back that for some reason the
bees do not begin the raising of winter bees as early in hives which have
new queens coming on late.  On thinking it over, I have doubts about that
and think that other factors are more important.

Flows might be a real concern, as could the amount of time the bees need to
rearrange their hive for winter.   I have no worries about honey and am
feeding as much patty as they will take to compensate for the poorer quality
of late pollen and the size of the foraging force in the queenright hives.
I notice some of the hives have slowed their patty consumption a bit now
that the main flow is on, but when it ebbs or it rains, they will use it.
Some, for whatever reason are still eating 1-2 lbs a week. We have lots of
drones and good mating weather.

Will the bees be as eager to make replacements now that the swarming season
is tapering off? (We seldom see swarms in August no matter how we crowd the
bees at that time).  I think so.  If they don't, the splits that fail won't
be a total loss.  They can be combined back.  More details are scattered
among the trivia in my diary.