Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 07:14:00 -0400
I'm hoping the list can lend me their thoughts on something I've not encountered before.

I picked up a few 5-frame nucs on 5/21, and one was very strong.  It had started building queen cells, presumably due to being a bit cramped in the nuc box.  I decided to take the gamble, since it was such a strong colony.

I immediately gave the colony room to expand, and cut out the queen cells.  I've inspected it twice since installing, and have found about eight new queen cells each time (some in exactly the same place each time).  The queen must be a laying monster, as it has gone from 3 to almost six full frames of brood in 12 days.  The racial background is mixed, but they look like Carnies, and are supposedly SMR.

As an aside, I've also noticed the the temperment of the hive to be getting much more aggressive as it has quickly grown.  As I was preparing to close up the hive yesterday afternoon, without apparent provocation, several hundred guard bees very suddenly swarmed up at my face - abnormally aggressive.  The only thing I can recall which may have set off such a reaction was accidentally crushing a few bees a few minutes prior.  I confess that I'm a bit intimidated at the prospect of this hive attaining full size with this temperament.  Could the temperament be related to the swarmy "mood"?

I'm debating on whether to let the hive run as-is, and keep checking for queen cells for a couple more weeks, or if I should pull a frame or two of brood/bees, and donate to another hive?  Is this new hive likely to settle down in a week or two?  Any thoughts in general?

Thanks,

Todd.