From:
Grant Gillard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Aug 2009 08:54:36 -0700
I give my beginner beekeeping class several catalogs and suggest they order "ala carte" rather than order the "beginners" kit.

Roughly, I suggest the cost of a new set up around $150 per hive, plus $75 for bees for that hive.  Then if you want to order other things like smokers, etc., that is a one-time cost around $100.  If you want an extractor (maybe not needed your first year) that runs around $300 to $500.

Shipping charges will vary wildly and widely.

A discussion always comes up about used equipment.  Until you know what you're doing, how the stuff works and you know what to look for, I discourage used equipment.  I've quit selling used equipment to people...I got nothing but complaints for stuff I was currently using and was still fully functional.  I recommend you buy new.

A second discussion comes up about making your own equipment.  Again, my response is buy the new stuff, find out what you need or don't need, take a look at how hard it may be for you to buy lumber and cut it out (time and energy).  See how the stuff works before you think you can make it, and once you decided to make your own equipment, keep to the standard, Langstroth conventions and measurements.

I've spent a fortune trying to reinvent the wheel, only to come back to Langs.

For the most part, people are taken aback at what it costs to get into this hobby.  But I think once you know the details, buying used or making your own is a possibility, just not the first year.

Grant
Jackson, MO