Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 2014 21:03:03 -0500
Bill Wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with this issue?

I too use a modified chest freezer but I abandoned the light bulbs due to cost and reliability, plus CFL and LED may soon make incandescent bulbs difficult to find.  Instead, I purchase a cheap space heater (in the 7 or 8 dollar range), set it to "full on" and turn power to it on and off with a Kelley thermostat that was removed from a capping separator.   The heater has its own fan.  I rarely replace a heater.  I did use a digital thermometer to set the thermostat more precisely.

I use it to liquefy chunk honey also.   For standard jars, the trick is to place the jar in the warmer "up-side-down".   If left "right-side-up" and the jar has any taper at all where the jar necks down to accept the lid, the soft, warm comb will float up and take that shape.  Since the bottom of the jar is flat, this does not happen if the jar is "up-side-down".

Bob Fanning
Huntsville, AL