From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 20:54:02 -0500
Allen asks:
Now that Canadians are hoping to re-establish bee imports from the
continental USA in the near future, some of us are wondering how things are
going down there in the past few years.   We're out of touch.

I doubt you are out of touch as you have attended the AHPA convention in
2002 & the ABF convention in 2003.

Tell your Canadian beekeepers to head south and talk face to face with U.S.
queen breeders.

Allen said:
We've heard stories about queen and package shortages and also some tales
about poor quality.  What is the truth?

We can always get queens when we need queens but are on a first name basis
with our suppliers. Kind of like looking for a part for the old bee truck.
You keep calling until you have called all the parts stores before giving
up.

You start with the breeders which have given you the best queens and service
first.

Allen asked:
  Are people running strictly package bee businesses and depopulating hives
in the Fall, or is everyone wintering?

Wow ! You really are out of touch!

Several big outfits depopulate. Non migratory winter and most but not all
migratory winter in California or Texas.

Allen asks:
How bad are the queen shortages in spring?

Depends on when you want queens. Early queens can be a problem especially if
you insist on a certain strain of bee.

We have never had a problem getting queens but we get queens at times from
other beekeepers  which supply queens by word of mouth and do not advertise.
They raise queens for their own operations and many times have got extra
queens to sell.

Bob's beekeeping thoughts:

The U.S. beekeeping industry is comprised of old beekeeper families.
Newcomers are watched closely before accepted into their circles. I imagine
the same is true in Canada.

Once accepted you can be in a rough situation. Motor blown up in bee truck.
Help all quit. Land owners wants bees out of orchard today and all of a
sudden you look up and your beekeeper buddies come rolling in to save the
day.

Also a few *outlaws* in beekeeping but what a tame world beekeeping would be
without a few *outlaws*!

These guys are wispered about at conventions by beekeepers and discused
openly by bee inspectors at inspectors meetings!

Make friends at a bee meeting with the closest beekeeper to you. You will
not be sorry! The rest of the world looks at the beekeeper like he is
playing with a short deck of cards. Other beekeepers understand the amount
of work involved in beekeeping and are facing the same problems you do.

PHD, doctor, farmer or city dweller beekeeping is the common bond which will
make friendships and put the doctor and the common man working side by side
going through a hive of bees!.

Many hobby beekeepers in the Midwestern Beekeepers assn. work bees with
another member of the club. They say beekeeping is very enjoyable when
working bees together with a friend. Hmmm.

Bob