From:
Neon Rosell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 2000 09:34:33 -0800
Hello Bob and Elizabeth,

Thank you for your advice, I have now a better
understanding on some of the basics in beekeeping.

About your question whether I used strip or strips,
yes I only used one strip. And please could you send
the U.S. Checkmite instructions I would highly
appreciate it.

<ALLWAYS keep a small entrance on a nuc when large
colonies are in the area.

I do keep a small entrance not mainly due to stronger
colonies but mainly due to the prevalent attack from
the smaller Apis cerana sp. (The host and friend of
Varoa)

I got a question for everybody; Has anyone of you came
across the miticide "clartan" or "clatan" or something
sounding like this, because this is what another
apiary (Philippines) is using for Varoa mite control.
I don't  know the particulars because it was just sold
to me by the beekeeper I bought one of my nucs from ,
although I asked, he could not give me  the
particulars. It came in a highly absorbent piece/strip
of wood, so I guess it was in liquid form and the wood
was soaked in it.

I treated three of the  hives with "clartan" and so
far I haven't seen any symptoms of mite infestation.
Sorry I didn't count the mite drops. Because in this
part of the world Apis cerana sp.(the "friend" of the
Varoa mite) is widespread. So, although you are 100%
varoa free when you treated with one of the mitecides,
you will always get Varoa mite after treating. I think
this is the place (Southeast Asia were Varoa is
endemic) to test if a strain of bee is resistant to
Varoa.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYBODY!!!!

Regards,

Neon