From:
Jim Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Aug 1996 15:17:28 EDT
>> I question this statement. Why? We know that Varroa prefer drone
>> cells, but only because of the longer gestation, but does it mean
>> they produce more offspring.
>>  Is there any proof to the validity of Andys statement?

        Dave,

        The following is a part of an fine article taken without
permission from:

The APIARY NEWS

A Publication of the Worcester County Beekeepers Association

http://www.nesc.org/~juggler/Summerap.html

The Invasion of Varroa Jacobsoni

by Philip Giroux

Varroa are selective about which larva they are going to invade.
They choose larva that will be capped within a day or two. The
reason Varroa prefer this age larva is that when the mites drop
into a cell, they get stuck in the brood food. Ironically, the larva
condemns itself by eating its food and freeing this menace.
Varroa's main choice is drone larva. Drone bee larva is bigger
than worker bee larva, and requires a larger cell. The increased
larva and cell size allows 7 eggs to be laid instead of 5 eggs.
Furthermore, drones stay capped for 14 days; an extra two
days longer than worker bees.

After being freed, the mite feeds on the defenseless larva's
blood. A hormone, found in the larval haemolymph, stimulates
egg production in Varroa. Two days later the mite begins her
egg laying cycle: a single egg about every 30 hours. It takes
approximately 24 hours for an egg to hatch, and 7.5 days for
the newborn to mature.

In other words, a worker bee is capped for 12 days, subtract
the 2 days it takes for the mite to begin laying her eggs, 1 day
for it to hatch, and 7 days for it to mature, we end up with 2
days left. Knowing every 30 hours a new egg is being laid, we
can say two more mites will mature before the worker bee
comes out of its cell. If we add the two extra days the drones
are capped, we have two additional mites maturing. Therefore,
a worker bee produces 3 Varroa and a drone bee produces 5
Varroa.