From:
Doug Ladd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Aug 2011 20:04:42 -0500
I am assuming nuc or hive purchases is the only resource for most small
beeks, but I have heard people buying and selling brood...

I see no real difference in buying a nuc versus buying comb, just becaise it
has bees on the comb doesnt mean it doesnt carry disease... I understand
what your saying however...

To me as an expanding beek drawn comb is gold trying to go from 13 hives to
now 66 is no cheap task especially after the nectar flow here in va with no
fall flow... I am going through 300 plus lbs of sugar a week trying and
hoping to draw enough comb and build populations for winter. If I had drawn
comb it would be much easier to prepare for winter...

I do have to agree most beeks I see fail, are one who either dont believe in
feeding or for some reason dont understand for whatever reason that they
need to feed a new hive. I always make sure people understand a hive can go
through a qt jar in less than 12 hours in alot of cases... I never recommend
a qt jar, dont even know why they sell those boardman feeders to newbees...
Its setting them up for either failure or daily feeding...