From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 23:43:41 -0400
Brett D Bannon wrote:

> Which of the following spacings would allow more honey in the super
>
>     (A)--Frames spaced loosely (eight or nine frames per super).  Bees
> extend comb past frame edges allowing  uncapping knives to open each
> cell.
>
>     (B)--Supers completely filled with frames (ten frames per super).
> Uncapping is difficult for knives but uncapping forks may be used.

Absolutely no question about it - "A" with 8 frames should be used for
supers, except when drawing foundation (when 10 frames should be used).
I can see no reason why potential honey space should be filled with
frames, which could be redistributed in yet more super boxes for more
efficient honey production.  The bees will always, in a good flow, build
out comb to within a bee space, whether you use 10, 9 or 8 frames.  I
use an uncapping machine, but the built-out combs are far easier to
uncap either this way or manually than are 10-frame combs, which often
are not even drawn out to the edge of the wood frame.  It is sometimes
objected that with 8 frames per super brace comb is often built. So
what?  When present, I just cut it off and throw it into the cappings
tank where it drains out as easily as do cappings.

Ted Fischer
Dexter, Michigan USA