From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jul 2005 05:26:40 -0500
Aaron asks:
And that last word (tips) is my biggest interest.  What tips should be
passed on to the hobbyist considering growing their operation to a
successful sideline business?

Would take a couple posts on (tips) and  right now is my busy time of the
year so  simply not possible for me.

1. The rules which apply to all small business also apply to beekeeping.

The business has to be sustainable. Or supported by outside the business
money.

2. Aaron said *grow* into a larger operation. Really is best  but not the
trend today. Many are jumping in without the beekeeping knowledge  and
paying a steep price. If they have got the determination to make a go then a
few  survive. However the expense and long term toll of not having free time
takes a toll. Worry & stress!

Small sideline is profitable for those willing to spend the time and
establish a niche market but those markets take time to establish.

3. Commercial will kill you without proper equipment. The best example I
give is from high school.

The first year of woodworking you can only use hand tools. The second year
you can use power tools.

I still remember my first year project cut with a hand saw and sanded by
hand. Looked OK but the amount of time involved! Time savers and  back
savers are the key but equipment puts your first year in the black farther
away and can cause many a beekeeper to fail.

The most important consideration today for profitability in beekeeping is
being able to keep alive strong and healthy colonies of bees. I would say at
least fifty percent of sideline beekeepers depend on larger beekeepers for
their part of their honey .

A love of beekeeping  has to be a requirement. If you get bigger solely for
the money you will never be happy in my opinion. I have advised many a
beekeeper over the years. I always tell tells things as I see things and not
what they want to hear. Always remember your friends will be positive until
you ask for an honest opinion. For many getting a small business into the
black never comes. Very few make a successful attempt at sideline &
especially commercial beekeeping if they consider sustainability.

Sideline you can grow into but starting out at the commercial level  you
need a mentor if you don't want to make costly mistakes. Buying a running
business after looking over the books and getting the former owner to work
with you for the first year works  best for  commercial.

Bob