From:
Barry Birkey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 14:17:31 -0500
From: Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>

> Capensis in beekeepers terms.

> Eventually  the bees see their own European queen as defective and ball
> her. The hive is then queenless and will exist till the hive becomes over
> run with non foraging   pseudo queens ( and drones)  which beside not
> foraging  will not do hive duties such as caring for    brood etc.
> **Without a real capensis queen the hive dies**.

Hi Bob -

Playing devils advocate, let's say that a lot, or most, of the colonies in
Arizona have Capensis in the bees. According to the above, colonies would
die out and/or beekeepers would be left with unproductive hives. Where is
the data from AZ showing that this is what's happening? Certainly this is
not what ones sees with the Lusby's hives. How does one make sense of the
two apparently different stories/data that we are being given.

Rarely is something as bad as we first think it is, or could be. AHB shows
this to be true. Now it is Capensis and I fear it too will generate far more
hype than actual fact.

Regards,
Barry