From:
David W Oakes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 07:15:43 -0500
A beginner friend of mine looked into his hive this past week end and found
that all his bees are dead. This hive was begun in 1997 with a package. I
helped him with his bees and treated my hives and his hive the same with this
one exception. He feed his bees all summer- sugar water.
After discovering that his bees were dead, he noticed that the honey is oosing
out onto the bottom board. It has not been hot enought for any honey to "melt"
out of the comb.  I personally have not seen this event. But his bee are all
dead.
The question that he proposed is this, could this "honey" made form sugar
water be bad and killed his hive?
I suspect that the queen died early in the winter as he did not find hundreds
of bees on the bottom board, but did find quite of few. Basically, they
dwindled away to nothing. We are puzzled, has anyone had simular experience?
I realize that there are various ways this could of happened. But I thought I
would draw on all of your expertise.
Thanks for all your help in advance.
Dave in Indiana