From:
David Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 21:30:50 EST
In a message dated 1/11/99 7:50:50 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> A little while ago someone asked what the proper "rent" would be for keeping
>  hives one another person's land.  The replies from this list indicated that
>  case of honey per hive is appropriate.  This sounds very reasonable to me
> but
>  I have the following questions:
>  is a case 12, 1 LB jars or 24, 1 LB jars?
>  I assume the beekeeper jars up the honey and does not simply give it to the
>  landowner in bulk. Is this correct?
>  Does the beekeeper put their own labels on the jars?

    It would have to be an exceptional yard for me to be willing to give more
than a case for the entire yard. A case per hive, would more than use up any
profit there would be in keeping bees. Some of my yard owners do not take any
honey at all, they just want bees on the property. I try to remember them with
a gift now and then, perhaps a watermelon or a couple cantaloupes that the
bees have pollinated.

   A case, with my yard rents, refers to a case of pints. I put our company
labels on the jars. A couple of them only want a couple pint jars with comb. I
just try to keep everyone happy.

[log in to unmask]     Dave Green  Hemingway, SC  USA
The Pollination Scene:  http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html
The Pollination Home Page:    http://www.pollinator.com

Jan's Sweetness and Light Shop    (Varietal Honeys and Beeswax Candles)
http://users.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm