From:
Jim Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 1997 14:27:18 EDT
NEW EQUIPMENT IS CLEAN EQUIPMENT

        I would advice any beginning beekeeper to start with new
equipment. A number of beginners I know who started with used
equipment had trouble with various maladies (ABF). It may not be
that the  previous owner knew of the problems but that  they
medicated and kept the problems at bay. Loosing your bees 2 winters
in a row due to disease can cost $100 and be very disheartening.

        If you start with new equipment you are much less likey to
have problems your first year!

TWO HIVES ARE BETTER THAN ONE

        As has been stated before, I you can afford it, starting
with two hives provides a better learning setting. You can compare
the hive behaviors and at least see that both hives are behaving
that way. You can use brood from one hive to supplement a weak hive
or a hive that is hopelessly queenless. You have double the chance
of experiencing various managment problems.

        Jim Moore
        2nd year - 5 hives
        Ma.