From:
Paul Cherubini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 May 2011 11:07:58 -0700
Whenever extreme weather happens we always hear comments
from some environmental scientists and organizations along the
lines of: "we are seeing more extremes of hot, cold, dry, wet,
tornadoes,
hail, hurricanes, etc. than ever before and therefore it is important
from a food security standpoint to fund research projects that
investigate how insects and plants react and adapt ."

But the scientists almost never cite historical weather data to back
up their "more extremes" claims.

Does anyone know how data about extremes of hot, cold, dry,
wet, tornadoes, snow, hurricanes, hail, etc., are archived
on a decade to decade comparison basis and how can the
public, farmers and insurance companies can access it?

I am familiar with this website:
http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/research/cag3/cag3.html
but it doesn't provide data on the frequency of extreme heat,
cold, drought, flood, etc. events that would allow one to make
decade to decade comparisons.

Paul Cherubini
El Dorado, Calif.