Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2012 15:08:27 -0400
Responding to Allen's Comment (below)

Guess by that definition I'm still a beginner.  We once added a  second
story and a second queen to 50 nucs, and lost almost all of the  original
queens - not the new queens!.

If I add a colony with queen to a weak colony with queen, I routinely  use
newspaper.  I have rotated strong/weak colonies on a pallet - sometimes
works, sometimes doesn't.  Usually see at least an occasional   lost queen.

In our research, we don't want to lose a queen - so I tend to be
conservative.  Large beekeepers often weigh the risk of queen loss against  costs of
additional time and fuss.

We've seen some big behavioral differences amongst hives.  Some
aggressively repel any bees not from their colony, others don't seem to  care.

But, I still don't know how  to know if the  bees will get  along.

We did  not use the
newspaper, since that is usually a beginner practice, mostly  for people
who
don't know if the bees will get along or not.

Jerry  - 40 years and still a beginner.