From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 08:48:07 -0500
At 6:59 -0800 1/20/02, Dee Lusby wrote:
>To me IPM to be really effective is to do it without the
>chemical side, but this takes much planning and field work
>and is labor intensive.

That is an entirely personal interpretation of IPM. Generally, IPM is
understood to mean the use of any and all control methods, *as
needed*. What you are describing is an "organic" approach, which
forbids chemicals.

Unfortunately, most organic farming associations do not recognize
beekeeping as a potentially organic farming pursuit. Why? Because
pesticides are so ubiquitous, that even if you don't use them, they
are brought back to the hive by the bees in the pollen and honey.

Another *important* criterion of an Integrated Pest Management regime
is that it HAS TO BE COST EFFECTIVE. No one is expected to lose money
year after year. If beekeeping is your hobby you can sink tons of
money in it. If it is your livelihood, you don't want to lose the
farm.

Last, but not least, keeping bees in the southern desert is entirely
different from keeping bees in most other climes. Beware that many
techniques do not export well. Here the hives experience a very rapid
buildup which is paralleled by an extremely rapid buildup of mites.

--
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>