From:
Dennis LaMonica <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 May 2013 11:09:43 -0400
Last year when were were cleaning the supers, hive bodies, frames
and foundation before storage for the winter, we sprayed the brood comb and
dark honey comb with a solution of  Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt var aizawai)
per manufacturers instructions.  It is available as a product labeled for
this application for this application and approved in Canada as well as
Europe.  It is sold as B401 Certan.

I am told by Sebastian Owen [log in to unmask] in correspondence last
year the following:

>1 – B401 leaves no residues in wax or honey, nor does it alter the taste
of honey.
 >2 – I am not aware of any downsides to using B401 in place of
Paradichlorobenzine (PDCB). Banned in >the UK for any agricultural use,
PDCB is a nasty substance that contaminates wax and honey and can be toxic
to bees and beekeepers. B401 is a natural, biological alternative that is
perfectly safe to use and gives excellent protection.
>3 – B401/Certan has been registered in the USA in the past but there was
not sufficient demand and the registration was allowed to lapse. We are now
working with the manufacturer to reinstate the registration.

Last fall we had a bumper crop of wax moths.  If frames were removed from
the hive to be picked up at dusk they would literally be covered with moths.

http://www.vita-europe.com/products/b401/

Our comb was stored in a heated area and no damage from wax moth has been
noted.

It should be noted that  Bt var aizawai is available in the US under the
name XenTari which is _NOT_ registered for use with bees.

It should also be noted that BT401 Certan is also NOT registered in the US
for this use but as noted above it was registered here but is elsewhere as
noted above.  I assume that there was not a viable market due to the cost
of the product.

Dennis
Very Western New York, USA