From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Mar 2009 20:17:08 -0000
Mike Rowbottom:
> The NAO report mentions the errors and innacuracies known to exist in the
> Beebase list; one of the Bee Inspectors has started a drive to clean up
> the
> list for his area, with considerable changes being made to the data as a
> result.

There certainly are some incredible errors in the database.  I registered
some time ago but had not really looked at the data held against my name
very seriously.  Last weekend I attended a Bee Farmers Association weekend
where one of the speakers was Mike Brown, Head of the NBU; of course, there
was considerable discussion about registration and BeeBase.

Today I re-visited the BeeBase site and went through my records in detail.
I found that I had one apiary in the middle of a reservoir (!) and one in
the centre of a rather grand local hotel - no I do not!  Another site listed
seems to be in the garden of our Association secretary!  Clearly, when these
records were assembled, the inspectors responsible for supplying inspection
data had little idea of how to provide a map reference - and two of them had
GPS devices!

There is clearly much work to do before any of the data will be worth using.
Best wishes

Peter Edwards
beekeepers at stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk
www.stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk/