From:
GAVIN RAMSAY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Sep 2012 18:12:53 +0100
> You can't breed pigs that fly or people that can dodge bullets.

> I bought the best mite resistant bees on the market. That hive was the first in
> the yard to go over the limit, and it was started from a package.

Then I suggest that you ask for your money back.

Of course I've been paying attention and have been doing so on this for more than 12 years.  Ever since John Harbo and Jeff Harris first published on what they then called SMR.

http://community.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-LSOFTDONATIONS.exe?A2=BEE-L;bBfoFA;200011172349500000C

Sorry I missed your ABJ article but hey, you can't read every bee journal on the planet.  There are no precedents in the Sus (pig) genus for sprouting wings but in bees Apis cerana can fight the mite and Apis mellifera has a number of different mechanisms which contribute.

I still think that there is scope for breeding better bees by understanding better the various components of resistance and putting them together in combinations.  It might not be an easy path or liable to yield results that satisfy everyone, but if Apis mellifera can adequately resist tracheal mites I see no reason why it shouldn't have the capacity to resist Varroa too. In the long run.

Did I dodge that bullet?!

Gavin