From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2007 07:06:45 -0400
The English language has some great words and phrases. Ephemeral,
will-of-the-wisp, CCD.

I have a strong feeling that we are engaged in the pursuit of something
that will not be found, while the real problem is right in front of our
face.

Let us say, even though I doubt it, we find the underlying cause of CCD.
You would then be able to rule out most of the other colony collapses
and the end result could be that the problem is manageable or seasonal.
Nosema, use Fumidil. End of problem, end of funding, end of disaster relief.

Meanwhile, the real problem of beekeeping in the US is mites and the
pathogens that thrive in their presence. That will continue and all the
attention will disappear, just as it has since the first Tracheal mite.

The team seems intent on ruling out (to me, the obvious) mites. Over the
past decades mites have been the real scourge of bees. All the pathogens
we now suffer from were there before mites. The different virus were
known to exist with bees but were considered a small problem since they
did little damage. Most beekeepers, including Inspectors, had never seen
virus at work in a colony. Now symptoms are commonplace and the only
change is mites. In fact, some of the virus and other pathogens still
have not had all their symptoms identified when a colony is under
multiple infections and/or both mites.

It really does not matter if he cause of CCD is some new pathogen. It
may not even be new but just one more thing that can infect bees through
mites.

It might be something a simple as a natural control of numbers. Nature
does not like one species getting too numerous, especially bugs. There
are a variety of controls imposed by nature which include fungus, virus
and other nasties that will spread rapidly within a group if they are in
close proximity, which means there are too many of them. That would be
aided by weakened immune systems. Mites again.

The beekeeping community and the CCD group should change the emphasis
from CDD, whatever it is or may be, to mites as the overriding problem
and get Congress also interested. CCD is a subset of a problem suffered
by most beekeepers world wide, not the major problem.

We have a known problem that takes more bees every year from more
beekeepers than CCD did, has, or probably ever will. That is the real
beekeeping issue.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine