Date:
Mon, 28 Mar 2011 04:58:40 -0400
<<Why are they getting so early when the winter weather has  been so
unkind?  Could it possibly be something to do with solar radiation  rather than
global warming (and local cooling)?  I understand the sunspot  cycle is
becoming active but am not sure whether this means more radiation or  less.
Dandelions have a fairly permanent rosette of leaves and so I wonder  whether it
is possible that they act as natural radiation detectors and that a  certain
level triggers off mass blooming?  Gavin might  know!

Chris>>

We're actually getting very much the same weather as we had over  winter. I
keep an eye on weather patterns (I used to teach geography), and we've  had
long periods with high pressure sitting over the UK. Essentially, this
means  stagnant air, with little movement, and generally clear skies. In winter,
the  land cools rapidly under these conditions as heat is radiated off into
space. So  we get a cold spell, and if we've got snow cover, which reflects
heat straight  back where it came from, it can get very cold. In summer,
with the more intense  sunlight and longer days, the land warms up, and we get
a heatwave. We passed  the tipping point a few weeks ago, and we're now
into the period when high  pressure means increasingly warm weather.

Regards,

Robert Brenchley
Birmingham  UK