From:
Nick Wallingford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Nov 1996 12:40:59 +1100
> > > It can only be used in stored equipment - so
> > > why bother? Para-di-chloro (moth balls) work
> > > just fine and can be found at your local drug store.

> I had understood that Moth Balls are of no use with max moth..but after
> reading the above, I am confused.
> Clarification please?..:)

Most commercial mothballs (the ones that aren't still attached to the
moths) contain some form of napthenate, I believe.  While a useful
additive for killing moths in your closet, I think it is this that
causes problems when used in a beekeeping context.  So the advice
I've always given is make sure what you are using is 'straight'
paradichlorobenzoate (or however you spell it).

  (\      Nick Wallingford
 {|||8-   home [log in to unmask]
  (/      work [log in to unmask]
NZ Beekeeping http://www.wave.co.nz/pages/nickw/nzbkpg.htm